Butterfly pea tea is probably the most magical tea. When I discovered it some years back, I had no idea it grew in Ghana. I checked online to find places where I could buy the seeds to grow at home. That did not happen because it was too expensive. However, months later I found a shop that sold the seedlings. Today my butterfly pea plant is growing, still pretty much a baby as I have seen how big the tree can get and I am struggling to even keep it erect because the branches grab on to anything its way and it starts to creep.
The beautiful blue flowers just bring a different feel to my garden. It tastes subtly earthy and it is healthy. This recipe was a spur-of-the-moment thought. I was eager to create a pretty simple yet stunning and refreshing drink.
This drink was tasty, refreshing and pretty.
- Butterfly pea flowers (Fresh/Dry)
- Sweetener (Honey/Sugar)
- Soda Drink/Soda Water/Sparkling Water
Measurements (To make 300ml)
- Butterfly pea Flowers
- Fresh – 4g
- Dried – 2g (Available in store, click here to purchase)
- Sweetener – Amount is based on preference
- Soda Drink/Soda Water/ Sparkling Water – 150ml
- Water – 250ml
- Ice – Amount is based on preference
- In a sauce pan, add water and butterfly pea flowers and allow to boil for 5 minutes.
- Add sweetener while still hot to allow it to dissolve
- Strain and allow to cool
- Add sweetened butterfly pea tea in a cup
- Add Ice
- Add Soda Drink
- Stir gently and Enjoy
P.S. Don’t forget to tag us on social media (@teaatheart) when you recreate this drink.
To watch how this drink was served, click this link